Event Details

Contact Us

About Us

Home

Event Type Acquisitions
Description Olivetti dedicated word processor (circa 1980)
Participants 6 Manhours - Norman Corker, Tony Epton
Date 2003-May-31
Click on this thumbnail to see a larger image
Ready to move in to barn

Transferred to large hoist

Feet reinstalled

Word Processor seen from the front

Word Processor seen from the back

Mounted on base with casters

All tucked up

and put to bed.
Comments Saturday afternoon, dropped in to see Norman Corker in Rossmoyne and pick up his word processor.

This consists of a daisy wheel printer, dual 8 inch floppy drives, power supply and CPU cabinet mounted in a pedestal cabinet.
The word processor had obviously been very well cared for and was in pristine condition.
It occupied pride of place in a spare bedroom.

The machine was difficult to move due to castors existing only at the back of the cabinet.
A fragile plastic set of drawers was mounted to the left hand side - making it hard to grab any solid part of the machine while manipulating it through the house.
Also the machine has a very high centre of gravity.

I used the winch up hoist to lift it on to the back of the truck - but unfortunately the cabinet kept pitching forward whenever it was raised.
Norman suggested that I insert planks under the feet of the pedestal.

Unfortunately it turned out that the feet were only lightly held in place with machine screws through mounting slots - as soon as the cabinet experienced any rotational force through the feet, these immediately detached and the machine fell backwards on to the winch up trolley.
The paint work received only a small scratch - but I pulled a back muscle while desparately saving the cabinet from damage.
Two days later - I'm still limping around.
Norman wasn't looking too good with all the excitement either.

Eventually, with the feet detached, and Norman inserting the occasional plank, I was able to winch the machine up above truck level and backed the tray of the truck in under the blade of the trolley.
I was then able to walk the cabinet around on the tray of the truck.
With the plastic drawers in place - it proved impossible to work safely, plus the cabinet was highly unstable without its feet.
In the full daylight it was easy to spot how the drawers were secured and once they were removed - work proceeded much more safely.

I drove back to Mundaring with the machine lying flat on its back and then transferred it to the large winch up hoist.
The feet were reattached firmly and the awkward caster arrangement was removed.
The machine was carefully lowered on to the ground and all panels reinstalled
The next day I built a simple trolley arrangement using timber sheeting and a set of four furniture casters.
Using the small hoist I lifted the machine on to its new base, stowed the removed drawers on top of this base, placed a sheet over the top for dust protection and stored the machine away under a shelving bay.
The set of drawers has deliberately not been reinstalled.
This makes the machine smaller and safer to handle and will avoid any damage to the drawers