Leading up to Saturday I carefully loaded the door frame and infill on to the back of my utility.
It was exactly equally in terms of width and about 150 mm longer.
I covered it with a blanket to avoid the flashing being whipped around by the wind during transport and tied it down thoroughly.
Once out on site both Ian and Jim came to say hello and both very kindly offered to help me move the frame around to the back veranda.
I thanked them but said that I wanted to test if I could do it on my own.
I had made up small clamp on assemblies so that I could attach my pneumatic castors and these allowed me to wheel the frame around like a large wheelbarrow.
The infill was light enough to just pick up and carry but with some effort.
My first attempt at standing the frame in position was not successful.
I found it was relatively easy to roll the header of the frame through the rough opening but when I attempted to stand it up it would not fit because I was not offering it up perfectly parallel to the opening.
I tried removing a small amount of the vertical blocking studs but this was not enough - the frame was being blocked by the top column brackets.
I removed the brackets (I think that will make very little difference) and even that was not enough.
In the end I had to pull the frame out again and stand it up vertically, then offer it up to the opening.
This worked but I had given myself a rather tight fit.
I have doubled up on the flashing at the bottom of the frame using both the Pollyflash attached to the under sill of the frame and an American stretchable product adhered to the floor boards.
For the next frame I think I will just use the product on the floor boards and this will make fitting easier.
I positioned the frame roughly in position but I don't know where the time went.
It was time to stop for the day.
I made up some very simple jigs consisting of a light cross member with 20 mm of packing screwed on at each end.
This allowed me to force the frame to be 20 mm proud of the columns.
I modified the amount of packing a few times until I achieved a dead plumb alignment and then fixed the frame off using 90 mm roofing hex head screws in to the timber of the rough opening.
Being the central door frame, the surrounds were timber on both sides. All the remaining frames will be fixing to timber on one side and steel on the other.
After this I fitted the infill and then gave the exposed edge of the frame another coating of oil based paint.
I ran over the infill surface with a roller and some water based paint.
It all looked very neat and tidy in the end.
Somehow it was the end of the day.
Packing up seemed to take over an hour and then I headed home.