Saturday morning, I fetched the trailer down to the main drive way and checked its tyre pressures.
Linda and I worked on sliding the support bed on to the trailer.
It was all very heavy and we had to be careful.
By the time it was loaded and secured it was 10.30 am.
I decided that it was too late to head out to site to do the installation and that I would treat Saturday as Sunday and vice versa.
So the rest of Saturday was spent exercising and falling asleep in front of television.
I was out on site with the trailer with the support bed and door frame.
There was an "event" happening - a marathon by the looks.
I have seen this before - as the first competitors cross the finish lines, many cars converge on the park opposite and also park on my property.
Even though I was not ready for it, I realised that I had to offload the door frame quickly.
This involved driving my car right out on to the road and backing in at right angles to the front veranda.
The door slid off very easily and ended up just 300 mm from its final position.
I then parked the utility and trailer so as to take up as little room as possible so that visitors could park.
About half an hour later the car park was full - so the early offloading turned out to be a sensible precaution.
I then undertook some preparatory work - applying the Dupont product across the threshold and screwing 3 x 20 mm spacers on either side of the door.
I also nailed a cross batten inside the rough opening so that I could push the top of the door frame through without the door falling over.
Once everything was in readiness I asked Ian next door to help - this was not too bad - we just had to lift the door frame a little and position the sill in to the opening.
Linda turned up at this point to help and was surprised to find the door frame already off the trailer and roughly installed.
I explained that probably another 6 hours work were required to position the frame accurately and fix it off.
We had a coffee together, and seeing that there was no further way in which she could help, Linda headed home.
Next I set up 3 battens across the rough opening and clamped everything up - this forced the door frame to project 20 mm externally and 12 mm internally.
I then worked my way around the frame using 100 mm bugle head screws to lock the doorframe in place.
There seemed to be 6mm gap on the RHS and 0 mm gap on the LHS and I was considering inserting spaces to move everything 3mm to the right.
However, I could see that at the top of the RHS there was no gap at all so the door frame needed to remain in its current position because it was already plumbed vertically.
I then installed the cross piece that supports the fan light section and patched up all the screw heads.
Finally I stretched and smoothed the flashing projecting out the sides of the frame and stapled it down.
By now dusk was falling, so I packed up, had a 30 minute rest and headed home.
West Australian Foundation Day holiday.
I just had a few finishing touches that I wanted to potter around with - so I took a pretty easy approach to the day.
Linda and I had breakfast at Mojo's then I disconnected the trailer and headed out.
The first job was to rub back the first layer of patching on the screw heads and then apply further material.
While this dried I tidied up a few other tasks that had been annoying me for a while.
I ended up speaking to Ian and Sandy and Jim for a while and then returned to the patching.
I gave it a second rub back, constructed a cardboard cutout to protect the door sill from paint drops and then gave all the door frame timbers a second coat of primer. This covered up all the scuff marks from the transporting of the frame as well as the exposed timber near the screw heads.
The door frame looks clean and sharp now.
The next part of the project is to get out the laser level, mark up heights and install the starting rails for the WeatherTex cladding.
I'm not sure if this will happen next Saturday as they are forecasting 30 mm of rain on that day.
At the end of the day I nipped out to site to cover the lower part of the door frame with some transparent builder's plastic in anticipation of rain for the rest of the week.
I also made an attempt to use the laser level to set up datum points across the front of the house.
It turned out very successfully - there was just enough light for me to see the levelling bubbles on the laser head, and it was just dark enough that I could see the laser line on the building wrap.
I marked it up at multiple points using a marker pen.