Today I headed out with the intention to work out the front door placement. Also to tidy up the window trim fixing / patching.
I placed the threshold and two stiles in position but nothing would line up correctly - the wings of the door sill sat nice and flush on the right hand side but exposed a significant gap on the left hand side.
Once Jim and Sandy looked at it we realised that although I had machined the top and bottom into parallel, the faces of the wings were still twisted.
I had a deja vu attack early in the morning so I packed up and headed home while I could still remember my way.
So very little achieved on Saturday.
I organised with my client to have a day off.
I showed linda what I intended to do to the sill - ie rasp the lhs to have the same angle as the rhs.
Linda pointed out that if I did this then I would end up with the lhs 10 mm narrower than the rhs.
It turns out that both wings are roughly the same size but if I rasp away the twist then one side will be significantly narrower.
I realised that I should just install the sill so that the side stiles project out 20mm and then cover any gaps in the sill wings with quarter round.
When I examined the sill closely I could see nail holes from where quarter round was previously attached.
I made a short visit to site again, taking the same door frame components with me and under this new scenario I found everything lined up perfectly - 20 mm projecting externally (lines up with weatherboard) and 12 mm internally (lines up with gyprock).