All of Friday, the weather was fine, The skies were blue. I said to anyone who would listen "I can't believe they are forcasting heavy rain for Saturday."
It turns out they were right, and it was a good decision of mine to have Saturday off and work on the house on Sunday.
All of Saturday, as the rain fell, I said to anyone who would listen "I can't believe they are forcasting a fine day tomorrow".
Again they were right and when the sun eventually came up the sky was blue.
What I failed to pay attention to was the additional caveat "Heavy Frost".
I was out on site at 6.30 am but the whole building site was one vast skating rink.
Even, the wooden access steps were slick with rain that had frozen.
I carefully carried up all my tools and any building supplies - one hand holding the hand rails, the other hand carrying whatever I could.
Eventually I had everything ready to go but it was still too dangerous to move around on the bare steel joists.
I installed one more short rafter on the ridge but apart from that I had to wait until 10.30 am before enough ice had melted.
In particular, when I carried up the corrugated iron sheeting I wanted to use, a layer of water had been trapped and frozen between two layers and shattered in to shards of ice.
I had about ten short battens to install. The rafter was already there.
I had hoped to progress beyond one run of sheeting - but somehow this took all day.
By the time I screwed down the sheeting and filled in any old nail holes with silastic, it was time to pack up and head home
I am hoping there is one fine day this week where I can shoot out to site and haul the tarpaulin support arm up on to the existing roof so that I can work on the last 4 metres.
There are also a number of roofing frames that need installing before I can make any progress so I am hoping that next week is not a bit of a fizzer.