Despite all my efforts during the week to prepare rafters and rafter support frames, I did not get to use any of them.
It was a productive day but of course I did not do nearly as much as I had hoped to.
The first job was to complete the very last floorboard of the landing (or top of the non existent stairs).
I had spare prepared floorboards last week but I realised, at the time, that when I sliced off the surplus 10 mm, to bring it flush with steel support, the fixing holes would be exposed.
This week, I brought a fresh piece of floorboard, ripped off the surplus, created completely new fixing holes and installed it.
There was a false start where I ripped off the tongue side instead of the groove side and had to start again.
In the same vicinity I had several pieces of structural steel that needed to be faced on the top surface with floorboards in order to bring them up to the same level as the surroundings.
I ripped off the tongue and groove of several floorboards to achieve a 75 mm width to match the PFC they were mounted on.
Next I turned my attention to the North West quadrant of the floor on the other side of the stair way void.
My mission here was to erect roofing frames to take some of the rafters as well as to deck over the void so that I could install roofing frames to support the temporary roof apex.
The two are tied together in that the roofing frames are installed with a 50 mm gap between them in order to allow 115 x 50 mm rafter beams to be placed to span the void.
Because I am doing this before the floorboards go down, I needed to install a temporary floor board run, at right angles to the eventual floorboards, running along the C purlin, in order to place the frames at the right height.
This was slightly dangerous work as I had no platform to work off and had to crawl along two joists to reach each position.
I installed 3 frames using 12 mm threaded rod, nuts and washers.
Next, I started hauling up the 125 x 50 mm rafters that I had delivered out on site earlier in the week.
I cut each one down to 2.2 metres and installed them across the void, slotting between the roofing frames.
This was rather precarious as all I could do was reach out across the void, swinging a 2.2 metre beam and hope that I hit the slot on the other side.
At this point, all I would have needed to do was to rip some ply wood to size to complete the deck and then I could have moved on to other tasks.
However, I realised that the rafters could easily rack over and that I needed to install some noggings at right angles to keep them under control.
I used the offcuts I had previously generated but it was a slow process working my way across as I had no real support.
Some of the rafters had a twist in them so I also nailed on some bracing strip to keep all the nogging pulled up hard against the rafters at right angles.
By now it was 4.00 pm but I had just enough energy to rip up the ply sheeting to cover the area.
The deck is structurally sound enough to take the weight of the central apex support but there are some small panels of ply on it that are not well supported and not safe to walk on.
I have erected a warning sign next to it and will need to decide if I am going to nail in additional members to make it safer.
Considering that it is never intended to be walked on I am not sure if this is essential or not.
Hopefully next weekend I can make good progress on installing rafters to the rest of the roof.
Linda and I headed out to site mid afternoon.
While I precariously wobbled around, stepping on joists, reading positions off a tape measure, Linda jotted them down.
I really needed a break from work so I decided to take the day off and do a bit on site.
It was a very leisurely day - up late, coffee with Ian, out on site another coffee and read the paper, help a client out over the phone, sleep for an hour.
I accomplished very little apart from checking through Sunday's measurements, modifying an existing roofing frame and fixing it in position, as well as bolting a straightening/supporting spine along the 4 frames.
However, it means that next day on site I can really move in to installing the rafter support frames midway along the rafter lengths.