By Thursday night I had finished facing the first two sides of each stud timber on the jointer.
By the end of Friday I had thicknessed 9 of these.
During Saturday I completed the remaining 16.
You would think it was easy work just feeding timber in one end of machine and taking out the other - but there is constant bending, stooping, adjusting, lifting and placing involved and by the end of the process I had completed quite a work out.
I examined all 25 pieces and found 14 that were obviously a high grade (ie free enough of imperfections to be used as studs).
The other 11 I docked to approximate length, loaded them on my utility and took them around to Tony M for some expert assessment.
Of these he found 2 were suitable for studs, 2 were totally useless and suitable only for temporary bracing, 1 was suitable as a wall return lining attachment stud and the remainder needed to be cut up in to shorter lengths for short studs, noggings and firewood.
I returned home, sorted the timbers in to their appropriate pile and cut some up in to their various category parts.
So, out of the 36 timber pieces I examined last week:
11 were immediately cut up to be used as noggings, short studs and firewood.
Of the remaining 25 - 17 were suitable for studs, 2 for braces and 6 were cut up in to noggings, short studs and braces.
ie a success rate of just under 50% - pretty much what I have said before.
So far I have been working through the scrappy wood heap.
Soon I will be working through the timber stored inside at Wooroloo - perhaps I will have a higher success rate.
On Sunday I hope to clean up the 190 x 50 mm timbers on the thicknesser.
I will then glue and nail them to create a 190 x 90 header for the french doors.
Maybe during the week I can accurately cut and layout all the materials for the door frame and then the following Saturday assemble it on site.